Friday, September 30, 2005

It’s a whole new ballgame



We’ve all heard of the expression “The first day of the rest of your life”, right? For some, that day may be college graduation, the first day at work, or the day you get married. I knew my life was going to change drastically with a baby, but the first day of the rest of my life was not when Fabi was born…or when we came home from the hospital…no….it was when he turned 6 months old. Why? Because now, I have to COOK for him ……EVERYDAY!!!!!

For all of you who have known me for some time, you know how the kitchen is (was!) a completely unknown territory for me. As much as my Mom tried to interest me in cooking (at least ‘something’) I always got away with not having to prepare my own food.

I was told once that in some societies in Africa, I wouldn’t even be considered a woman because I didn’t know how to cook. Too bad!…I was kind of proud of that record of mine: not cooking for more than 30 years!… It’s a good thing I’m not in Africa though…but I will write about the topic of cooking in India in some other post.

You know how some parents wish their kids grow up to be doctors, lawyers or engineers? Well…I’m hoping Fabi grows up to be the next
Jamie Oliver . In the meantime I’m also hoping that when he grows up, we can go to Subway together and enjoy a nice sandwich…!

As of now, I have to go and feed him again…he’s eating his foot!

How about you? Do you cook? What’s your favorite recipe?

5 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Sat Oct 01, 12:18:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger wal said...

hey mariluz

tantísísísísísísísímo tiempo!!!!

it's funny you know, trying to reconcile the image of rave-dancing girl with cute-mom!! jeje..

i'm so happy for you. this is so cool, you know, being able to get in touch again.

well, i hope you are having the time of your life!!

suerte!!!
--wal.

 
At Sat Oct 01, 04:37:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation for your all new cooking experience...
I am speaking for Fabian ;)
Ok, I am speaking also for me, now, I will keep the hope to meet your family in the future and to eat some Indian recipe (I am not specting baby food).
My favorite recipe is the "Gallo Pinto con natilla" and it will be ready for you and your family in my house.
Abrazos... Rodolfo

 
At Tue Oct 04, 04:52:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marilú, I really don´t know if I should write in Spanish or English, but since you are so cosmopolitan I guess i´d better be international with my first comment.

Cooking!!! A totally new experience for me also. Manuel and I have been in Germany for 4 months now, but we´ll be flying home soon, :o) (on the 18th of the present month that is).

We got married 5 days before coming here, so now as a couple we enjoy the art of cooking. I must say it is actually an art, considering how much creativity you have to put into it when you dont have recipes.

On the whole, the world of cooking has brought to me a new kind of satisfaction that I didn´t know. It is of course wonderful to come home starving and have the blessing of your mother being there with a delicious plate of food. But it is also nice to discover that you are not at all bad at cooking. I always thought I would suck at it, hence I always felt "threatened" by stoves.

I think everyone should try cooking for themselves. My advice is that one must be creative and overcome the fear of mixing the unthinkable. Colourful food is always the best!!!

Well, Mari iám happy you have found this new way of communicating. And I find it really beautiful that Fabian brought your life into the world of cooking.

Muchos abrazos, barbara.
Y saludos de Manuel.

 
At Thu Oct 06, 08:01:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger MasalaMom said...

Hola...!

Efectivamente es genial volver a estar en contacto!

Wal: Así es...ahora tengo que hacer malabares con mi tiempo para poder seguir siendo 'rave-dancing', 'cute-mom', 'cook' y además poder actualizar mi 'blog' :) Cuando tengas tiempo me escribes y me cuentas qué has estado haciendo?

Rodo:
Gracias por el comentario que escribiste y por la invitación al "Gallo Pinto con Natilla"...un dia de estos yo hice la receta, pero como que no sabe igual con arroz Basmati

Bárbara y Manuel:
Felicidades en su nueva vida matrimonial...que disfruten muchos momentos lindos...dentro y fuera de la cocina... ja ja Yo ya soy toda una experta en Menu Gourmet para Bebé...por algo se empieza.

Espero que sigan visitando mi 'blog' para yo saber si me están leyendo y para tener más noticias suyas.

Saludos...!

 
At Thu Apr 04, 09:32:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp loan consolidation
consolidation loan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]