Friday, June 09, 2006

Germany 4 - Costa Rica 2

History was made, indeed!

Let us count the ways:

  • It was the first time Costa Rica played in an opening match of a World Soccer Cup.
  • It was the opening match with the most scored goals.
  • The German player, Miroslav Klose was the first one to score more than one goal in an opening match. (He was also celebrating his 28th Birthday! He made 5 goals during the previous World Cup.)

[Before I continue this post, here's a quick overview that I got from the newspaper "The Times of India".

As you (might not) know:

- a soccer game consists of two 45-minute halves with no timeouts; if there is a tie, up to two extra 15-minute periods are played before penalty kick shoot-out.

- eleven players from each team are on the field. There are 4 types of players: 1 goalkeeper protects the goal, defenders (fullbacks) play in the front of the goalkeeper and stop attacks, midfielders move the ball up the field and forwards attack the goal.

]

Back to the post:

This is the third time I am away from Costa Rica (CR), when it has participated in a World Cup. I never feel homesick, but knowing how important soccer is in my country, that the sport is more than 'just a game', that everyone is in a festive mood, being away from home right now makes me feel nostalgic. Actually, I wouldn't mind being in Germany right now, either :) -- All that party going on! Anyway, watching CR play against Germany in this opening match was much better than watching CR play against Turkey in a Turkish shop in Erlangen, Germany - like I had to during the World Cup in 2002!

Since we just moved to a different house, our cable is not installed yet. However, -BIL- Sopan and Priya invited us to watch the game in their new LG Flatron 1200! We missed the Opening Ceremony and the Costa Rican National Hymn (there was no electricity at first - bleh!). But then it was back again and we had beer, pizza, Coke and chocolate soccer balls! It was a very exciting game. I heard TV comments of how this game had a surprising outcome...maybe they thought that the game was going to end something like Germany 9 - CR O (?)

The game was so exciting that I hardly ate, but it was a good thing Priya insisted on packing a couple of pizza slices (that's what I ate while writing this post!)

To end this chapter (and await for the following games!), let me relive the score of the (much anticipated) game Germany vrs. CR:

Start of Game: Ger O - CR O

5': Ger 1 - CR O

12': Ger 1 - CR 1 (My absolute favorite part of the whole game!)

17': Ger 2- CR 1

60': Ger 3 - CR 1

73': Ger 3 - CR 2 (Another 'nice' part of the game...)

86': Ger 4 - CR 2 (Bleh!...)

P.S. As I finished writing this post, the South American country of Ecuador beat Poland 2 to nothing on the 2nd game of the day! Viva Ecuador!

Labels: ,

5 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Sat Jun 10, 05:39:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would have preferred at lest a tide, but well no can do. I personally celebrate both Wanchope's goals. He is a serious good guy. Let's hope for something better. José.

 
At Sat Jun 10, 07:24:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Nidhi said...

Hey MAri, I m glad u enjoyed the first match and costa rica indeed played well, the score was good enough!
All the best to Costa Rica for other matches!

 
At Sat Jun 10, 09:21:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Mariluz!!! I thought so much about you.. I'm so proud with Costa Rica for a great game.. and Viva Ecuador.. Arriba Latinos!!. My husband woke up to go straight to a bar with some friends to watch the first game (here in California they're showing at 6am, 9am and 12pm!!).. Loved your pics.. Fabian esta guapisimo!!

 
At Sat Jun 10, 01:43:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger MasalaMom said...

Thanks for your wishes Nidhi!...This is going to be a very exciting month! Let's see how far CR goes this time!

 
At Mon Jun 12, 11:03:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Shweta & Rajeev's World said...

Hey Mari!!! I can feel your excitement after reading all your posts!! Football is to Costa Rica what Cricket is to India!! Best of Luck and all my good wishes to Costa Rica!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]