Saturday, June 03, 2006

Fabi's summer look

As several of you have noticed, Fabi got his first hair cut. It was on May 5th. The weather had been so hot and humid, and he had been scratching his head in discomfort so much, that we decided to give him a 'trim'. But, it turns out that he was terrified of the sound of the hair cutting machine and wouldn't stop moving or crying. So the easiest thing to do was cut everything off because there was no way he would allow any styling. At first I was really dissapointed because that's not what we went for, but after a few days I started to think he looked quite cute in his 'military style' (eventhough he also reminded me of the 'Hare Krishna' followers).

It turns out that here in India (I'm not sure if also in other places), parents cut their babies' hair completely at least once (sometimes up to three times, in case of girls), so that 'their hair becomes thick'. This may be just a myth, because the thickness of hair is determined by genetics, but considering the heat of the summer here, it turns out to be very practical. I understand that hindu boys also undergo a ceremony where their hair is cut (completely). I'm not sure I would do that to a baby girl, although I have had the back of my head practically shaved during my college years (if you want, I could show you a picture later...I'm sure I have it somewhere).

Fabi's hair is growing quite fast. Here's another picture of Fabi's look for the Summer '06, which was also a nice mango season!


3 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Mon Jun 05, 06:55:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Le luce mucho el look de coquito. Jose

 
At Mon Jun 05, 08:32:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Shweta & Rajeev's World said...

Yes its true that in India , a baby's complete hair is shaved off atleast once so that the baby gets think hair. But more than this it is done because the hair the baby is born with ( womb hair ) is not supposed to be good. The other ceremony you have mentioned is called as ' Bhaubheej ' or ' Thread Ceremony ' . This is done only for the boys in which their hair is shaved off. Without this ceremony in his life , a guy cannot get married. However this is true for Maharashtrians. I don't think other states have this. Rajeev is from the North and they don't have this custom. In today's modern times , boys refuse to shave off their hair ( my brother Rahul did the same ) hence the pundit only cuts a few strands!!

 
At Tue Jun 06, 08:32:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger MasalaMom said...

Thanks for all that info, Shweta!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]