Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fits like an old shoe

I have a confession to make: The previous four posts were not written from my laptop. "Why?", you ask....well, because my good ol' Gericom laptop got infected with a virus (2nd time this year!) and had its new hard disk formatted again. However, this time I didn't lose any data because I learned my lesson from last time and had an updated backup.

My computer is back home now. Its CD drive doesn't work, a couple of keys are taped to the keyboard and the letter 'y' and the number six don't work (I have to copy/paste them every time I need to use them). Voice chatting is no longer fun because the speakers are also dying.


I realize that it's high time to replace my laptop. Too bad because I'm quite fond of it, eventhough I never gave it a proper name. I still remember when I bought it from
ALDI in Erlangen. At that time, I thought it was very strange to buy a laptop in a 'supermarket'. My laptop got me through my thesis, kept me in touch with the rest of the world and helped me start this blog. I'm so used to the German version of Windows XP and its German keyboard. The way my laptop has aged makes it very difficult (almost impossible) for anyone else to use it. I'm the only one who knows its tricks. It's like driving a very old car that only the owner can manage...or like wearing an old pair of shoes that looks ugly but fits sooo comfortably.

As of now...I will start saving for my next notebook...that would explain why I'm trying out the sponsorship of
Google Ads that I've placed on the header.

3 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Fri May 19, 08:37:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Nidhi said...

Hey Mari,
we suffered the same with our laptop last year and after working like an old perosn it died out quietly end of dec last year! we still have it with us, though it no longer works. With our laptop we had the problem of graphic card so when u switch it on u just see some checks and nothing at all.
So this time in jan we decided to buy a viao desktop for a chnage instead of a laptop!.
i will definitely try n help u out with google ads;-) so u can buy a new one soon!

 
At Fri May 19, 09:45:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger MasalaMom said...

Thanks, Nidhi!...

I see that you also have Google Ads in your blog...I was just clicking away to see if I saw anything interesting about Mumbai ;)

Say 'Hi!' to Vivek from all of us here!

 
At Fri Jun 02, 09:11:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mari,

I am so sorry to know the present state of ur Laptop.But i am sorry again to suggest you to go for a new one. If you have any plans to go for a new one, you can ask me. I know 3 to 4 good suppliers in Mumbai from where we buy for our corporate users. I can ask them to visit u with some models of any make like SONY-VAIO, HP, COMPAQ, ACER for a DEMO.

Let me know when you make a plan to buy.

Sudhir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]