Thursday, December 06, 2007

Nikolaustag - Updated!

As Ishan opened the door to leave for work this morning I noticed a gift bag at our door.

I took it inside and opened it carefully. No nametag, no message, just lots of goodies inside.

I checked my mail a few minutes later and found my answer in a message from my friend Rong: she tells me December 6th is Nikolaustag here in Germany!

St. Nicolaus came to us to leave a gift*!... Isn't it great?!

Christmas is celebrated around the world and each country has its own traditions. Marianne is right: it *IS* good to be in Germany during the Christmas season:

Here's a picture of the AdventsKalendar which Ishan got in office. In order to know which window to open each day before Christmas day (and get a small chocolate), you must exercise your knowledge of German and math:

* I already had written this post when our doorbell rang and I heard someone St. Nikolaus running away. He came again and left a second bag of goodies:


** Update - Fabian and I went out in the afternoon and came back to find -yet another- surprise for St. Nikolaus. His 3rd visit today! YUM!...All the goodies!

Labels: ,

7 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Thu Dec 06, 12:46:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Marianne A said...

HI Mary,
on 5th December evening, the children have to clean their "stiffel" (shoes), and to put their outside bevor the door. And if the children are nice children , Nikolaus will put some chocolate inside.
have a nice Nikolaustag...

 
At Thu Dec 06, 07:07:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mari, as i wrote, definitely not from ur neighbours. Ishan(75%), and ur spanish friends(25%) are Nikolaus. Who else? I live too far away from u:(

 
At Thu Dec 06, 10:40:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger MasalaMom said...

Rong: au contraire! St. Nikolaus was definitely our neighbours! I didn't see them...but Ishan had no idea of this tradition either!

 
At Fri Dec 07, 10:52:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger GummyMommy said...

OMG.. That is such a cool tradition!! what a sweet little surprise to find those treats ! I'm a chocolate junkie, so I wouldn't do too well with this tradition!! Enjoy your yummies!

 
At Fri Dec 07, 12:50:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna move back to ERLANGEN!!!!

 
At Mon Dec 10, 11:44:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Unknown said...

How sweet of Nikolaus! O y J

 
At Tue Dec 11, 08:40:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Nidhi said...

Wow, you guys had a great Nikolaustag! wish St Nikolaus was also living right next to us:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]