Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's NOT just a game! - Updated

I would have LOVED to be in Germany during the World Soccer Championship '06. I followed it closely and I remember some very moving moments:



I have been following the EURO '08, which is hosted in Austria and Switzerland. There's been a lot of excitement and many surprising moments. I've enjoyed the sporty atmosphere here in Germany and wondered if it was the same as two years ago when they hosted the 2006 World Cup. Apparently, Germans are now more than ever - very enthusiastic about showing their flag colors and cheering for their team. I'm glad to know that!


I've been paying attention and noticed that there's a big marketing soccer scheme going on. I have uploaded some picture of soccer related things on my Flickr album. Everything is soccer-ized lately! Everybody is in a good mood...especially now that Germany is playing the final game of the tournament. It's been a good season!

There have been "moments" this time also:

  • It rained early on co-host Swiss team's parade against the Czechs.
  • My hero Podolski had to again play against (his other country) Poland. He didn't even celebrate the 2 goals he scored against his opponent in the first game. Naturally! How could he celebrate when his heart is divided between Germany and Poland? And then there's the historic background... *sigh*....Anyway, I really admire Podolski for his professionalism. He does what he has to do and just moves forward.

  • The World Soccer Champions didn't make it to the semi-finals. Some say the Italian team made it to the quarter-finals because they were lucky. Even so, I just hope Fabio is feeling better nowadays.

  • I have to admit I was a little frightened by the results of yesterday's game where Germay beat Turkey in the quarter finals. There's a lot of Turkish people in Germany, so obviously many were dissapointed. I think it all ended rather peacefully (at least here in Erlangen). I'm sorry for the fans who were affected by a storm in Austria...and I wonder what's the mood like in Basel, Switzerland? (Vivek, Nidhi? Are you enjoying the Euro '08? Or do you just want the final game to be over already?)

The other semi-finals game is just a few hours away: Spain vrs. Russia.

I would love a FINAL match: Germany vrs. Spain....no matter who wins, I will celebrate big!


(Thanks, Rong, for the reference to this video!)

UPDATE: Germany vrs Spain it is! Next Sunday, June 29th...!

Labels: ,

4 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Fri Jun 27, 10:28:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mari, just saw two Poldi&Flix&Trix pictures;)
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1218012,00.jpg
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1217912,00.jpg
Rong

 
At Fri Jun 27, 10:57:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger MasalaMom said...

WOW! Rong! Thanks for leading me to these pictures! SO COOL! :)

 
At Sun Jun 29, 01:24:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Gummy Mommy said...

I had no idea you were that much into soccer.. wow!!

BTW.. You've been tagged:
http://lifewithgummy.blogspot.com/2008/06/tag-it.html

 
At Sun Jun 29, 01:06:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Nidhi said...

in swiss in Basel its been crazy! had never sen so many people on the streets as on the day of Holland match in Basel, its the first time I followed football hope Germany wins today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]