Friday, August 15, 2008

15 de agosto

Today is "Mother's Day" in Costa Rica and it's also the 61st year that India celebrates its "Independence Day".

After Fabian was born, I celebrated my first "Mother's Day" in Goa, India. Every year, on this day, I realize I have come to admire my Mom Olga and my Grandmother Carmen, more and more.

This year I am also remembering one other special Mom of mine...my Mom Marie. She was brave enough to want to host an exchange-student and as I have said before, it was a great opportunity for me. Mom Marie played a very important role in my life...I'll be forever thankful that I met her and I still remember things that she taught me.

Here are some of my memories: She was really excited for me when I was going out on a "date", she helped me write a good-bye note to the editor of the local newspaper before I went back to my country, she asked me to help her cook dinner on Wednesdays and whenever she made plans I was sure she would carry them out. During my first days of my arrival at her house, she bought me shorts so that I could stand the heat of the desert (Arizona), she bought me a diary so I could record all of my exciting experiences of my exchange-student days (that was probably what lead me to blog later), she took me to Church every Sunday morning, even though she wasn't a Catholic and didn't stay for the Mass. I saw Mom Marie ten years later after my exchange-student year when I went back to Arizona for a High School Reunion. She kept in touch with me by air mail and e-mail as well.

Now she's no longer with us and the only regret that I have is that she never visited me in Costa Rica (due to the fact that I started to travel a lot since my early working days). I remember her when I think of my AFS experience, when I go to a library and when I see Fabi's eye color, which also reminds me of the rest of the family, my former host-father Curt (who is also not with us any more), my host-brother Josh and host-sister Cari.

Last year my Mom spent this day in the hospital. One year later, she's recovered from very scary sick times and just a few days before "Mother's Day" she met Cari for the first time, as my former host-sister happened to be in Costa Rica! What exciting times!

I want to wish a very "Happy Mother's Day!" to Mom Olga & Mom Marie....my Grandmother Carmen ... all of my friends who are mothers and those soon-to-be Moms, too!

(Cari & Mom Olga in Heredia, during Cari's recent trip to Heredia, Costa Rica - Aug. 2008)

¡Gracias, Sandra, por compartir tu poema! ¡Qué pases un muy feliz Día de las Madres!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Indian mothers who are celebrating their Independence Day, too!...

Labels: , , ,

2 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

At Tue Aug 19, 05:48:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nos alegró mucho el poder compartir un rato con Cari y nos emocionó mucho el gesto de dejar la tarjeta de felicitación en el Día de la Madre, en el buzón. Fue una sorpresa muy agradable. O y J

 
At Thu Aug 28, 11:34:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Unknown said...

Mari, hasta hoy pude leer correos, andaba de viaje celebrando el dia de la madre en Buenos Aires, Argentina. Gracias por tu mensaje de felicitación. Un abrazo grande y muchisisisisimas gracias por acordarte de mi en este dia. Saludos a tu mami de mi parte. De verdad que ser mamá es una profesión maravillosa!!! Yetty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]