Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy 'Thirty-third month', Fabi!

Fabi is not crazy about going to "school" (his playgroup). Twice a week he gets to meet a group of 7 other kids (about his age) to play and snack with. When we're getting ready in the morning to go out of the house he tells me: "Yo no quiero ir al kinder." He cries for about 2 minutes once I leave and then (I'm told) he enjoys, plays and laughs very much.

He enjoys the Christmas ambience and I have repeatedly told him we're celebrating Baby Jesus' Birthday and have been avoiding reinforcing the role of "Santa Claus".

His vocabulary is -as always- increasing. I'm proud sorry to admit he learned the English words 'stupid' and 'shut up' and knows how to use them in the right context (when he is angry!). I have NO idea where he might have heard those words. He might have heard me say those words and then had them reinforced when watching a couple of videos from the Indian movie "Ta Ra Rum Pum" (he especially likes the racing cars!) I hadn't noticed that even though the movie is in Hindi, it's sprinkled with some English words, so from now on, we will be sticking to videos that are especially for children, like Caillou, Thomas, Bob The Builder and Pocoyo besides - of course- Sesame Street.

So despite the fact that I don't swear (much) and I am now even more aware of my language, I was SHOCKED to hear Fabi exclaiming a Spanish word totally foreign in the Costa Rican speech. "Coño!" shouted a very angry Fabi when something was not working out the way he wanted it. I have to admit, it was very funny to hear him because he even said it with a caribbean accent. Well...that's just a side effect of hanging out with my friends from Dominican Republic.

Editor's Note: The G rating of this blog might have changed to PG-13 with this post due to "strong" language :)

Labels:

0 What say? / Que me dicen? - Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]